Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I Hope You Find Me: The Night Women Took Another Step

"Hello?"

"Yes, hi!  Is Sandy available, please?"

"This is she.  May I ask who is calling?"

"Of course!  My name is Kristin and I am a volunteer with Geauga County Democrats.  We are so excited here at the office celebrating Secretary Clinton's official nomination and..."

"Oh, I know!  Isn't it wonderful?  I was just watching myself."

"We were too, we were too.  And actually the reason I am calling tonight is to invite you and your family to a fabulous event on Saturday.  Hillary and Tim's first appearance after the convention.  They..."

"They are coming to Ohio?  Right after all of this?"

"They sure are!  Right down the road. I hope you will be able to join us.  It promises to be a great rally!"

"I get to be there?"

"If you would like.  I am happy to give you all of the information."

"Yes.  Yes.  I wouldn't miss it.  My mother was born before women could vote and I..."  She trails off.  She has no other words...



"So, you'll come?!"

"Of course, my goodness, of course.  I wouldn't miss it.  Are you going to go too?"

"Absolutely.  I am going to bring my daughters."

"And I'll ask mine!"

"Please do.  That's a great idea.  I'll look for you."

"I hope you find me.

"I did tonight."

-----------------------------------------

And just like that, July 26, 2016 became a day I will never forget.  A day I sat in a tiny democratic party office in what, to me, still seems like the middle of nowhere.  A lively, yet kind place in a very red county in the historically battleground state of Ohio, my new home.

Hung merely 96 years ago...we've come a long way, baby!



(this conversation is based on an actual conversation I had with an 81-year-old woman on the evening our country nominated its first female presidential candidate.)


No comments:

Post a Comment