Sunday, January 6, 2013

Beer (Bread) Season

I have no interest in hunting and live near a big city so I have no clue when deer season starts.  However, now that the holidays are over and winter is in full swing it is definitely beer (bread) season.  Nothing adds depth and texture to your favorite soups, stews and chilis like a homemade loaf of beer bread.   Plus, it tastes awesome, is great toasted the next morning for breakfast and is super easy to prepare.  Everyone will be overly impressed with your efforts and you can be all, "oh yes, I slaved away all afternoon baking, but nothing is too much for close friends, yadda, yadda" when in actuality you threw three ingredients into a loaf pan.  No kidding, this is the best 3, 2, 1, recipe out there.  Commence amazement and note taking:

Beer Bread

3 cups self-rising flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 beer

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Open a beer to drink while harnessing your internal domestic god or goddess.  Grab a decent sized bowl (or if you are seriously lazy you probably could mix this up directly in the loaf pan.)  Add the 3 cups of self-rising flour.  Add the 2 tablespoons of sugar.  Open a second beer and pour it right in.  Stir.  Add the batter to a loaf pan.  Bake for 1 hour.  Boom!  Say good bye to those Tastefully Simple or some such other rip off mixes.  This beer bread is the real steal. 
Add flour and sugar
Add your favorite brew
Stir until well mixed

Before
After


Ready for its closeup and your belly!
I like using Yuengling or Natty Boh for our beer bread because it is fairly cheap and we usually have some in the fridge.  But, I highly recommend experimenting with your favorite and see how the taste and color of the bread changes with the beer.  Even if you are not a beer drinker I am confident you will love this recipe.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Whaaat? It's seriously that easy? What's it taste like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works for me! It tastes wonderful It is a great dense bread to eat along side (or even underneath) all of your fav soups and stews. I make it all of the time.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Jen...seriously? I'm never buying the mix from Tastefully Simple again! We can't get Yuengling here in Illinois, which is so, so sad! I've never heard of Natty Boh. I'll have to look into it! I'm thinking Blue Moon would be nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. National Bohemian (Natty Boh) is a Baltimore area brew, but it just a simple lager. I have never tried Blue Moon or any white beers, but now I am curious. You could add some orange zest or serve with marmalade. Yummy! Please let me know if you try this recipe and how it turns out.

      Delete